After the movie, we were discussing what happened, and talking about Henry VIII and the Royal Family Line. Mind you, this is about 1am....
I was starting to get confused, with all the inter-marriage and stuff, so Mikayla suggested that we write it down. We did... and that lead us to stay up till 3 in the morning, looking up the family line and trying to figure stuff out. We eventually went through all the Kings and Queens, up until the current Queen Elizabeth. We figured out that she is the great great great great great great great great great great great great great great grand-daughter of Henry VIII.
The next day I decided that it would be cool to rewrite all our findings out onto a nicer piece of paper... and this is what I came up with...
Please notice the random bits of history thrown in... the Mayflower, the Salem Witch Trials, the sinking of the Titanic...
Also, each family line is written to include their symbol. So the House of Tudor has the Tudor rose....
I learned so much from doing this by myself, it's ridiculous! Have you ever heard of the Gunpowder Plot? Ya... me neither. Not until now... (look it up if you don't know what it is!)
6 comments:
I knew about the Gunpowder Plot. Remember, remember, the 5th of November.
It's true, though. I learn more by teaching myself than being taught by a professor.
~Bryce
Kassy's a NERD! This was actually pretty cool. I'm glad you learned a lot... it's funny how those historical movies get you thinking about history. Too bad they don't have a history channel there, huh?
Funny story: I did something similar after watching V for Vendetta... I read up ALL about Guy Fawkes and the Gunpowder Treason.
Bryce...
... the gunpowder treason and plot.
I know of no reason why the Gunpowder Treason should ever be forgot.
So after hearing all about this, I am very happy to finally see it! :) I especially like your recreation of the Mayflower. haha
Henry VIII has an interesting history, but I think Henry V and VI go relatively ignored and are much more fascinating (their politics and policies of the Hundred Years war were, in a word, barbaric...still diplomatic models of what NOT to do in a land you claim as your own)
As far as the Gunpowder Plot goes, I've heard of it thanks to the rhyme mentioned above and I've been briefed on it in early modern history classes, but I don't know much about it. I'll go read on it now.
Glad that your trip is educational
OH -- And I'm going to be trying to get you copies of the music/article(s) you requested early this week. If I can't get to the library on Monday morning, I'll get it to you Tuesday.
Word.
That is one extensive family tree! The pictures and comments are pretty darn funny. In case you were wondering...Costa Rica has practically no history...they had a tiny civil war in 1948. Other than that there's nothing too historically exciting besides lots of bananas and coffee being exported lol.
Post a Comment